Coronavirus FAQs


The ECU Coronavirus Updates page is updated regularly and the best source for up-to-date information.


Find answers to general frequently asked questions below.

For FAQs specific to employees and the Graduate School community, please visit the individual pages.

Question not answered here? Email us at

Is ECU open and operational?

The university remains open with adjusted campus operations. Please note the majority of ECU employees are teleworking until further notice. We transitioned to alternative delivery classes on Monday, March 23, and those will continue at least through summer sessions 1 and 2. For information about what facilities and services are open on campus, visit our “What’s Open on Campus” page.

Are employees teleworking?

The UNC System grants institutions the authority to use telework, to identify mandatory employees needed for continued operations and to exercise discretion for granting paid administrative leave, when appropriate.

ECU seeks to maximize teleworking opportunities to the extent possible for employees whose physical presence is not deemed mandatory to university operations. Employees need to coordinate work arrangements with their supervisor. In all cases, teleworking is strongly encouraged. Please visit HR Update — March 19 for the latest guidance. Further guidance will be issued at a later date.

What about commencement? Will it still be held?

May’s in-person commencement celebrations, including unit and departmental ceremonies and Grad Bash, were not held. The university held a virtual commencement ceremony in May. In addition to that event, we are also discussing events in August and December to recognize our graduates. We will provide more details as those plans are finalized. Our ECU Commencement website will be updated with the latest information.

How is the university keeping me updated?

Are all university events, meetings and travel canceled?

  • In-person events on or off campus hosted by ECU have been canceled or postponed until further notice.
  • All university-sponsored domestic travel, regardless of destination and size of gathering, is suspended until further notice. Any exceptions must be approved by the respective Vice Chancellor. This includes student organizations.
  • All university-sponsored international travel is suspended until further notice.
  • Personal travel on public forms of transportation and gatherings of 10 or more are strongly discouraged and should be reported to your supervisor for assessment. Return to work after such travel requires a clinical assessment.

Should I travel?

What can I do to prevent illness?

  • All East Carolina University students, faculty and staff are strongly encouraged to exercise the same reasonable precautions used to prevent the spread of viral illnesses, including but not limited to:
    • Wash hands regularly with warm water using soap.
    • Don’t share food and beverages with others.
    • Cover your cough/sneeze with a tissue or your elbow.
    • Avoid touching your face, eyes, nose and mouth.
    • Practice social distancing – maintain distances of 6-8 feet from others when possible.
    • Say no to the handshake – choose other non-contact greetings.
    • Avoid contact with sick persons.
    • Avoid nonessential travel.
    • Clean commonly used surfaces and objects.
    • Monitor the CDC website for updates.

What should I do if I feel sick?

  • If you have traveled to a high risk area, have been exposed to someone who has traveled to a high risk area, or to someone who has been diagnosed with coronavirus, and you have fever — whether or not you have other cold symptoms — please call SHS at 252-328-6841 or your local health provider.
  • North Carolina Poison Control has established a 24-hour hotline. If you have any questions or concerns about symptoms, suspected coronavirus or reducing the risk of the virus call 1-866-462-3821.
  • In cases where doubt exists about the need to self-quarantine, employees should immediately contact ECU’s Office of Prospective Health at 252-744-2070.

Is testing available at Student Health?

  • Testing is available at Student Health Services and many other health care facilities; however, there are strict guidelines that the CDC and State Lab have in place for testing.
  • For specific questions about testing, contact