TALK LIKE A PIRATE
East Carolina University’s podcast, Talk Like a Pirate, explores various topics related to current happenings on campus, across the nation and around the globe.
Hosted by ECU News Services’ Rich Klindworth, TLaP began Sept. 19, 2019, on International Talk Like A Pirate Day.
Check out #PirateVoices, Talk Like a Pirate’s sister series, where we showcase ECU’s diversity by amplifying Pirates’ personal stories of searching, seeking treasure and chasing purpose.
Episode 6: Delta-8 THC and CBD
Delta-8 THC and CBD are all around. In Season 4, Episode 6 of Talk Like a Pirate, a couple of ECU researchers talk about why lax accountability could allow these potentially dangerous products to fall into childrens’ hands.
— July 6, 2023
Episode 5: How Much Screen Time is Good for Kids?
It seems like anymore that toddlers are surprising us with their smartphone, tablet and television knowledge. But is that a good thing? In Season 4, Episode 5 of Talk Like a Pirate, ECU child development expert Sandy Lookabaugh weighs in with some interesting screen time information.
— March 29, 2023
Episode 4: Holiday Music and Writing New Music
It is the holiday season and that means the airwaves are flooded with holiday music. So, on Season 4, Episode 4 of Talk Like a Pirate, we’re joined with two ECU Fletcher School of Music students — Kristi Roller and Brett Howard — to talk about the music of the season and what it takes to write new music.
— Dec. 21, 2022
Episode 3: Healthy Holiday Eating and those Infamous Carbs
Are you eating enough carbs or too many – or skipping meals in order to indulge this holiday season? And what about “added sugar?” We communicate constantly, but not effectively. In Season 4, Episode 3 of Talk Like a Pirate we talk carbs and healthy holiday eating with ECU Dietetic Internship Director and Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Nutrition Science Tara Wind.
— Dec. 1, 2022
Episode 2: I Thought We Were Communicating?
We communicate constantly, but not effectively. However, that is going to change with the help of Season 4 Episode 2 of Talk Like a Pirate. Dr. Pamela Hopkins is the director of ECU’s Center for Communication Excellence. She shares some advice and has some quick tips for you strengthen your communication skills.
— Oct. 26, 2022
Episode 1: Best Masks for a Pandemic
Some say face masks don’t really help when it comes to stopping COVID-19. It’s kind of correct — but not. In Season 4’s first episode of Talk Like a Pirate, a couple of ECU scientists tested face masks and respirators and found out what works in the event of our current and a possible future global pandemic. The results may both surprise you and change your vocabulary.
— Sept. 12, 2022
- Episode 1: Remembering 9/11 from a Pentagon First Responder
- Episode 2: COVID-19 Update with Dr. Paul Bolin
- Episode 3: Sitting Down with Football Legend Vonta Leach
- Episode 4: “Older” Workers — Is 70 the New 50?
- Episode 5: The Poison, Toxins and Venom that Surrounds Us
- Episode 1: Getting Caught up on Voting History
- Episode 2: Getting out the Vote at ECU
- Episode 3: Shaping the Future of Student Entrepreneurs
- Episode 4 : COVID-19 Antibody Treatment
- Episode 5: Handing COVID-19 and the Holidays
- Episode 6: COVID-19 and Misinformation
- Episode 7: How Common is Voter Fraud?
- Episode 8: Gen Z’s Role in the 2020 Election
- Episode 9: The State of Polling
- Episode 10: Caring for Children’s Hearts
- Episode 11: Candid Conversation with Chancellor Ron Mitchelson
- Episode 12: Women and the Vaccine, Fact vs. Fiction
- Episode 13: Vaccines and People of Color
- Episode 14: Vaccine Myth Busters
- Episode 15: Healthy Living After COVID-19
- Episode 16: ECU P.h.D. in MLB
- Episode 17: The Hospitality Industry Within the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Episode 18: College Student Food Insecurity
- Episode 1: Vaping Phenomenon
- Episode 2: Fact or Fiction
- Episode 3: Spooky Season
- Episode 4: Holiday Stress
- Episode 5: Kissing Strangers
- Episode 6: Coronavirus in the U.S.
- Episode 7: Vaping 2.0
- Episode 8: Predicting 2020’s Democratic Nominee
- Episode 9: COVID-19 and Mental Health
- Episode 10: Social Distancing, Masks and More
- Episode 11: Job Hunting During a Pandemic
- Episode 12: Economic Recovery Amidst COVID-19
- Episode 13: Reopening and Vaccine Development
- Episode 14: COVID-19 Vaccine and Potential Treatments
- Episode 15: Answering COVID-19 Questions on Safety
- Episode 16: Myth Busting COVID-19