Incoming student checklist — Fall 2022

Welcome to Pirate Nation, Pirate parents! Now that your student has been admitted to East Carolina University, it’s time to start preparing for their start this fall.

Below is a check list of important items your student should complete prior to arriving in the fall. Dates are subject to change. Contact individual offices or departments for questions, or reach out to ECU Parent and Family Programs at 252-328-6847 or by email at

Student accounts

Now that your student is enrolled at ECU, their personal records are confidential according to the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). If your student wishes to grant you access to their records for things like assisting with bill payments, they must list you on the Buckley Form, located on their PiratePort.

Bills will become available in July and tuition is due a few weeks before the first day of fall classes. All billing information is sent to your student’s ECU email. Be sure to remind your student that they should be actively checking their ECU email!

Pay tuition

Classes will be dropped if your bill is not paid by the deadline. Bills will be sent out in July and will be due a few weeks before fall classes begin on August 22. Visit the Cashiers Office for information on how eBills are sent and options for paying them.

Submit final official transcripts

Enrolling students must submit their final official high school transcript by July 15, 2022. Send transcripts to Office of Undergraduate Admissions, Mail Stop 517, East Carolina University, Greenville, N.C. 27858-4353. Undergraduate Admissions also accepts electronic transcripts from most transcript services including the College Foundation of North Carolina (CFNC). Please request to have them sent directly to

Complete Student Health Services checklist items

Visit the Student Health Services Checklist for New Pirates website for information about health-related requirements, including:

  • Immunizations – Immunizations are a state law requirement and failure to comply will result in academic withdrawal. Immunization records are due by Aug. 17 for fall semester. Learn more about immunization requirements.
  • Report of Medical History – Students must complete the online Report of Medical History form by logging into their Online Student Health account.
  • Student Health Insurance – Health insurance is a requirement for students to enroll at a North Carolina college or university. Once registered for classes, you will need to either enroll in, or waive out of the Student Health Insurance Plan by Sept. 10 for fall semester.

Social security number verification

The Internal Revenue Service requires ECU to verify social security numbers (SSN) annually for accurate tax reporting on 1098-T forms. Having an accurate SSN on tax forms supports the tax deduction that a student or family may claim for qualified educational expenses on both federal and state income tax returns. Failure to provide ECU with an SSN may result in the student being fined in accordance with the Internal Revenue Code section 6723.

Download the SSN request FAQ (PDF) and follow the instructions for your student to verify their social security number or individual taxpayer identification number.

On-campus move-in

ECU believes that living on campus is an important part of the college experience, therefore new students are required to live on campus. Move-in will occur the week before classes begin and will depend on your student’s housing assignment. Mark your calendars for Wednesday, Aug. 17 to Saturday, Aug. 20. Visit the Campus Living website for more information about housing.

Placement information

ECU grants course credit for CLEP, DANTES, Advanced Placement, and International Baccalaureate exams. See the corresponding course list here. Make sure any AP exam scores have been sent to ECU. Check to see if you should take a Foreign Language Placement Test.

Register for a COAD 1000 course

COAD 1000 is a 1 credit hour course that will aid your student in their transition to ECU. Some sections are major or interest specific while others are open to all students. Your student can register for the course by searching under “Counselor Education” in Self-Service Banner.

Meal plans

There are a variety of meal plan options! Students can update their plans in PiratePort. Visit Dining Services to see more information about Campus Dining.

Purchase parking permit (optional)

If you wish to bring your car to campus, you will need to purchase a parking permit through ECU Parking & Transportation. Student student permits will go on sale the first week in August. Specific information and instructions related to permit sale dates and times will be announced later in the summer.

Questions? Call Parent and Family Programs at 252-328-6847 or email