Chart Your Course: Fall 2021 New Student Information
It’s been quite a year, as you well know. East Carolina University and the entire country continue to adjust and adapt during these challenging times associated with COVID-19. While great progress is being made and ECU continues to plan for a fall semester that will hopefully look more like the ECU experiences we expect, we must ensure the health and safety of our students, faculty and staff into the summer months.
For our incoming ECU Pirates, as you chart your course for fall 2021, we want to share some important information with you as well as the action steps you are required to complete in preparation for the fall semester.
Please read the following message in its entirety. It contains important information about housing, new student orientation and class registration for the fall.
ECU Campus Living (Housing)
Campus Living is continuing to prepare to welcome students this fall with double occupancy in student rooms. Students who want to confirm or enter a roommate preference need to complete their online Campus Living contract (or revisit their already submitted contract) by May 1st. ECU has a Live-On Requirement for first-time freshman students and more information is on the Campus Living website.
ECU Campus Living will continue to accept contracts after May 1st, but earlier is always better in terms of getting your assignment and possible neighborhood preferences.
Keep checking your ECU email for updates from Campus Living as we will be sending out emails on helpful topics from everything from “what to bring” to “how to do laundry.”
New Student Orientation
This summer’s New Student Orientation will be offered virtually with some on-campus supplemental options to enhance your experience. Please note – the online portion of New Student Orientation is required for incoming ECU students enrolling for the Fall 2021 semester.
New Student Orientation will include multiple opportunities for you to learn about ECU and the programs and services offered to aid in your success.
- Orientation Session (Registration and participation is REQUIRED): Students will participate in a virtual, synchronous orientation session that will introduce you to the resources and services available to you as an ECU student. Students will also connect with an Orientation Assistant, who is an ECU upper class student, as well as other members of the Class of 2025. Available orientation dates will be held from June 7 through July 1.
- Note: Students should plan to participate in a full day of activities during the virtual orientation program.
- Students will register for orientation through PiratePort beginning in April. The orientation fee has been reduced to $100 (regularly $155) and includes the student 1Card (ECU ID card), online programs, and on-campus programs in the fall. Students will receive more information about these programs via their ECU email.
- A virtual Family Program will be offered concurrently with the student program. Information included in the program will cover campus resources, how to support your student in the transition, and information about Parent & Family Programs. Students will have the opportunity to provide a family contact email through the registration process which will be used to provide more information about the Family Program.
- On-Campus Events (Optional event, Registration required): It is the intention to offer limited in-person events on campus in July. A decision will be made about these events by June 1 and will be communicated via your ECU email account, the orientation website, and on social media.
- Live Events throughout Summer: ECU will host a series of live online events (using platforms such as Instagram Live, Facebook Live, WebEx, etc.) throughout July and August. These sessions will allow you to learn more about campus resources introduced during orientation and provide helpful tips for a successful transition to the university. You’ll also be able to connect with current ECU students who will answer any questions you may have.
More information will be sent to your ECU email account and be available on the orientation website during the month of April. Contact the Office of Student Transitions at (252) 328-4173 or email@example.com for specific questions.
Fall 2021 Course Registration
The Pirate Introduction to ECU Registration (PIER) site provides helpful guides for your first semester schedule and directs you through the necessary steps to begin your academic journey at ECU. Students should review information all “ports” on the PIER site. Beginning on May 14th at noon (12 p.m.), students will be able to complete the PIER quiz. Once the quiz is completed students will receive their PIN code and be able to register for fall courses. After course registration an academic advisor will contact students to review class schedules and answer questions.
If you have additional questions about PIER, contact your academic advising center, which you can find here.
We are very excited to see you on campus in August as we welcome you home to ECU, and we get ready to jump start your East Carolina University experience. Go Pirates!!